“When I let go of who I am, I become what I might be.” Lao Tzu
If you could be instantly transformed into the career person of your dreams, one, two, three, what (or who) would you be?
Head of your department? A chef specialising in fresh, vegan cooking? Or, just something completely different?
Well, this Friday’s film release, Animal Crackers – an animated comedy (featuring the voices of Emily Blunt, Danny Devito and Sylvester Stallone to name a few) telling the tale of amateur circus owners who can transform into any animal they please – makes change look, well, like magic!
Which got us to thinking about change and transformation. Changing your job, not to mention your career can seem not just daunting, but at times one leap of the imagination too many.
But this USP Your Monday we’re here to remind you not to get caught up in crazy-making stories. Remember this instead:
- It’s up to you to take a bite of the biscuit / apple / whatever you want to call it and try out for that dream role.
Sort your CV, sign up with agency or online jobs board (or both), start networking. Whatever first step you take – it’s up to you to do it!
- Luckily the Animal Crackers have a clever way to get metamorphosed people back to human shape. But if you don’t have a box of magic biscuits remember: nothing is permanent.
So, you make a change and find out it’s not a great fit. It’s not the end of the world. In fact it’s great information. Knowing what you do and don’t like helps hone your sense of self and get clear on your career goals! Staying stuck is far worse…
- There will be a Horatio P Huntington (aka the Animal Crackers’ villain) moment. Whether it’s your very own inner critic, your dad telling you your plans are too big for you, or those pesky unexpected setbacks, the villain is always part of the story. So get ready!
Get a mentor you can confide in. It could be a paid life coach, someone you really admire and trust in your network, or your recruitment agent. Having someone in the know to share your career change ups and downs with really helps you navigate this often trickiest of times…
Get in Contact:
Thinking of making a career or job change? What top 3 things are stopping you? We’d love to hear your insights or issues. And for some real-life support to help you get productive and make those career moves happen faster get in touch with one of our friendly team today!
- Share USP Your Monday thoughts with #MyUSPMonday
- Sign up for more inspiration straight to your inbox HERE
- OR for more focused help and to become an Angel candidate sign up HERE