- Posted: April 28, 2022
- Location: Sudbury
- Start date:
- Salary: £23,000 - £26,000
The Job – House Manager / Butler (Live-In)
The job requires running all aspects of the service delivery. Key tasks include taking bookings, answering the phone, cooking breakfast for our guests, managing additional staff, opening up the house in the morning and closing it down at night, inspecting and videoing rooms after they are cleaned, shopping and of course acting as the consumate host to our paying guests. The cleaning of rooms is performed by other members of the team. If you haven’t fulfilled all these functions before – we can teach you! You will be supported by a small and friendly team.
About The B&B
Our client is one of the best Five Star Bed and Breakfast’s in the country. It has a Gold award from the Tourist Board which means we have exceptionally high standards in both the quality of our offering and in our levels of hygiene. These standards are reflected in the reviews we receive which average 9.2/10. The property is Grade 2 listed and a member of the Historic Houses Association. There are seven guest rooms to manage in total, with a maximum of 14 guests at any one time.
Benefits of the position
· The job comes with free accommodation in the form of a studio apartment on the second floor with a reasonably sized bedroom/sitting-room, small galley kitchen and a bathroom, free use of a car and all utilities. Especially useful if you are looking to save money. The accommodation is suitable for a single person only and not families.
· The commute is a short walk down two flights of stairs.
· The position would offer valuable experience across all aspects of the business and would suit someone looking to work either in the hotel/service sector or as a Butler.
· In the hospitality business, there isn’t much opportunity for time off during the busy season. Plus, you will be expected to work a six-day week during the season. However, to compensate for this we close for approx. six weeks in January and early February, so if you like travelling, this is a great opportunity to go walk-about with some of those savings and use up that holiday time. In addition, we close for a significant number of weekdays in November and December. This means that total paid days off is close to 6-8 weeks per annum, plus the one day a week.
· There is a small possibility that the business may expand in the future, leading to a more managerial role.
Requirements of the position
· Experience of the hotel/B&B sector is desirable. Alternatively, a background in either the military or in a care home would be an advantage.
· This is very much a job for a “self-starter” with a “happy disposition” and a desire to provide the highest level of service to our guests. A driver’s license is a requirement of the role as is passing a CRB check.
· You must be fit and healthy
· There is the opportunity to earn additional money if you wish to perform some of the cleaning functions as well. Plus, you must be prepared to step in if one of them can’t make it.
· You must like animals as we have a dog and a cat.
· Finally, evidence of a sound intellect with a good sense of humour is also an advantage as you will be working in a family setting as well as a commercial environment.
· You will report direct to the owner of the business and will be required to perform the odd light task for him as well.
If you think you’re the happy, hard-working self-starter that we are looking for, please apply now. It is a requirement of your application that you write a cover letter which outlines why you think you would be suitable for the job. Applications without a cover letter will be rejected unread.