- The UK’s membership of the EU will end on 29 March 2019
- But EU citizens can enjoy free movement until 31st December 2020
I want to stay, so what now?
To continue living and working in the UK you’ll need to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme for:
- Settled status – this means you can stay in the UK for as long as you like
- Or, pre-settled status – this means you can stay in the UK for a further 5 years from the date you get pre-settled status
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for settled status, you’ll usually need to:
- Be an EU citizen,
- Or a family member of an EU citizen
Do I apply for settled or pre-settled status?
- Lived in the UK for 5 years or more?
- And, spent at least 6 months of each those years in the UK (continuous residence)?
If you answered ‘yes’ to both questions you can apply for: settled status
- Lived in the UK for less than 5 years?
If you answered ‘yes’ to this question then you’ll generally be eligible for: pre-settled status
When should I apply?
- The registration scheme should be fully open by 31 March 2019
- The deadline for making settled status visa applications is currently set for 30 June 2021
TIP: If you’ve not yet been living in the UK for 5 years but will qualify for settled status before 30 June 2021, you could consider applying on or after the date that you qualify
NOTE: If you will not qualify for settled status before 30 June 2021 you must apply to get pre-settled status. You’ll then be able to apply for settled status once you qualify for it
What will I need?
When you apply, you’ll need proof of:
- Your identity – a valid passport or national identity card
- Your residence in the UK – usually providing your National Insurance number is enough, although other documents may be required / used
- You’ll also need to complete a criminality check – only serious or persistent criminality will affect the application; and will not affect the vast majority of EU citizens
TIP: The EU Exit: ID Document Check app can help you fill in your identity info, but you’ll need a biometric passport or EU identity card, and an android device
How Much Will It Cost?
The application fee is:
- £65 – for adults (over 16)
- £32.50 – for children (under 16)
But, it’s free to apply if:
- You already have a valid permanent residence document or indefinite leave to remain
- Or, you are applying to move from pre-settled status to settled status after the UK leaves the EU
NOTE: If you’re under 21 and you or your parent / their spouse is an EU citizen – see how to apply for settled or pre-settled status here